The Project and Development Office, AFW was established in May 2006 as a result of the conclusions of the Planning and Development Office (PDO) Seminar held in Rome in April 2005. The PDO is meant to be a bridge between civil societies, donor organizations and the Mission of the Salesians of Don Bosco. PDO-AFW has a prime objective to promote impact oriented socio-economic development projects in line with the Organic Provincial Plan (OPP); to ensure sustainability and improve efficiency in the project implementation and the effectiveness of project results. It is the main point of reference for all developmental projects/works in the province.
The PDO is an entity, juridical or otherwise, instituted and owned by the Salesian Provincial Community (C.44, C.58 Salesian Constitutions), fully at the service of the Salesian charism in the province. It participates in the restructuring, re-shaping and re-dimensioning of the Salesian works.
The Project and Development Office (PDO), Anglophone West Africa Province was established in May 2006 through the initiative of Rev. Br. Gunter Mayer. And since then the PDO has become the Provincial tool for the development mission of Salesians of Don Bosco Anglophone West Africa.
To use the rich, cultural and traditional values of West Africa to enhance, through the principles of faith as lived by Don Bosco, the integral transformation of children and young people who are victims of ethnic and religious conflicts, widespread poverty and abuse of human rights.
To educate, train, form, inspire and empower young people towards human, social and spiritual growth in line with the goals of the International Cooperation for Development.
Aims and Objectives
- To educate young people to become productive citizens for the development of West Africa.
- To promote quality education thereby enabling young men and women to become self-reliant.
- To provide youth with technical training and nancial support to promote self-employment.
- To work for social and human development of youth into the worldwide movement against poverty.
- To professionalise our human development work, meeting the needs of deprived youth in the adequate way and at the lowest cost.
- To improve sustainable development and human promotion projects; this is the fundamental principle of the Salesians of Don Bosco.
- Mutual respect for each other.
- Collective responsibility.